License Plate Recognition Technology
License Plate Recognition, sometimes abbreviated as LPR, is an advanced parking technology that provides virtual permits through a vehicle’s license plate instead of paper permits or plastic hangtags. LPR increases parking efficiency, provides convenience for the parking customer, and greatly reduces the amount of paper and plastic waste produced.
LPR works similar to a supermarket scanner with your license plate functioning as the barcode. When read, the numbers of your plate are automatically referenced against the parking database to verify a valid permit and the proper parking privileges for the lot location. If the license plate and vehicle information are not associated with a valid virtual permit or the vehicle is parked in an inappropriate zone, then the vehicle may be subject to a citation.
LPR Benefiting the Aggie Community
Transportation Services is investing in LPR technology that will allow us to do our jobs more efficiently and provide solutions for the new intermittent parking needs in the “new normal”. We anticipate that the benefits of the upgrades will bear out in a relatively short return on investment.
Some ways LPR with benefit the Aggie Community are as follows:
- LPR eliminates the need to display physical permits and the need to move permits from vehicle-to-vehicle
- Increased cost-effectiveness with the reduction of printed permits and postage fees
- Upgraded paperless-pay stations on campus located along the direct paths of travel away from each lot and the 1st floor of each parking structure
- Returning to your vehicle to display a paper permit will no longer be necessary
- Lost or stolen permits and the associated replacement fees, police reports, and processing times will be eliminated
- No more forgetting your permit, a permit falling from a rearview mirror, or being displayed improperly
- Option of adding credits to your parking meter remotely via the Parkmobile app.