Transportation Devices Inside Campus Facilities
UC Davis remains a Platinum-Rated Bicycle Friendly University and we thank the campus community for using their transportation devices in a safe and responsible manner.
Transportation Device Restrictions
- Charging electric transportation devices inside university facilities is strictly prohibited due to the threat of indoor fires.
- Storing any transportation device inside university buildings is not allowed, except for designated personal spaces like offices or cubicles, or spaces assigned by the responsible facility owner.
- Riding any transportation device inside any university building is strictly prohibited.
Transportation devices are not allowed:
- In indoor public spaces (e.g., Library, Memorial Union, lecture halls).
- Laboratories, as outlined in the Laboratory Safety Manual.
- On ingress/egress routes (hallways, walkways) or along handrails.
Tips for Owners
- Invest in a high-quality lock to secure your transportation device at one of the 30,000 bike rack spaces on campus. Click here for more information on parking and theft prevention.
- Register your transportation device through the Transportation Services Bicycle Program.
- When your transportation device needs charging, please do so off-campus to comply with local fire regulations.
- Take advantage of Spin! This shared micromobility program provides our community access to a fleet of electric bike and scooter devices for short trips without the worry of theft or charging on campus. View pricing and discounted access options here.
If you encounter an unsafe situation where a device is being used or stored inappropriately, please report it to the Bicycle Program by emailing email@example.com or calling 530-752-2453. Failure to comply with these guidelines may result in the following actions:
- Impoundment of the device, with associated fees.
- Referral to the appropriate department for disciplinary action.
As legislation and electric transportation device technology evolve, our policies and practices may also change. We will communicate any updates widely at that time.
- Transportation and Parking Code, Section 6.07
- Safety Services Corridor Storage Guidelines
- California Fire Code, Chapter 2, Section 1018
- Student Housing and Dining Services, What Not To Bring
- Can I charge my electric transportation device inside a university building?
- No, charging electric transportation devices inside university facilities is prohibited due to fire safety concerns.
- Am I allowed to ride my transportation device inside university buildings?
- No, riding any transportation device inside any university building is strictly prohibited.
- Where can I store my transportation device inside university buildings?
- Transportation devices can only be stored inside university buildings if they are placed in assigned personal spaces like offices or cubicles and only if they do not interfere with the safe performance of routine activities or impede an emergency exit.
- What about wheelchairs or other assistive devices?
- Wheelchairs and other assistive devices are always allowed inside any university facility.
- What should I do if I believe a device is being stored unsafely or causing a hazard?
- If you encounter an unsafe situation, please report it to the Bicycle Program by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 530-752-2453.