Skip to main content
Appeal a Citation
The Process of an Appeal
Steps to File an Appeal for Your Citation
- Appeals can be filed online, by US Mail or drop box at the Transportation Services Office. An Appeal Form for mail and drop box submissions can be downloaded here or obtained by calling Transportation Services at 530-752-8277.
- For online submissions, you will receive an email confirmation upon successful submission of your appeal. If you do not receive a confirmation, please contact Transportation Services to ensure that your appeal was submitted correctly.
- Successful submission of an appeal will suspend processing on the citation while it is under review, and there will be no billing notice sent or late fee added during that time.
- You will be provided with written notice of the outcome of the appeal, whether the fine is dismissed or upheld. Citations that are dismissed will not require any further action, but fines that are upheld will be due within 21 days from the date the determination letter is mailed. Please note that all Tier I appeal decisions are sent by US Mail in accordance with California Vehicle Code. Effective 5/23/2023, notice will also be sent by email if a valid email address is included with the submission.
- Follow up with the Transportation Services office to check the status of your appeal if you do not receive a decision within 12 days from the date your request for review was submitted.
- Citations that are upheld as a result of this initial review may be contested further by requesting an Administrative Hearing. Instructions for filing a request will be included with the appeal decision. A request for Hearing with the Yolo County Superior Court Traffic Division may be filed for citations upheld at the Administrative Hearing level. For instructions and other information regarding this process, please contact Transportation Services.
- Citations that are dismissed after a deadline has past, or in cases where a permit is purchased after the fact or using an incorrect license plate number, may incur an additional administrative fee and/or DMV fee. For other information regarding this process, please contact Transportation Services.