Special Events

Q. What is the difference between One Day Departmental Guest permits and Conference permits?

A. Unlike a Departmental Guest Permit, Conference permits may be returned for a refund, less a nominal charge, even if they are written on. If you are unsure how many you will need, additional permits may be requested for a minimal charge. If the unused permits are not returned within two weeks of the event all permits will be recharged at the current daily visitor permit rate.

Q. Where can buses park after dropping off clients? Do they have to pay for parking?

A. Buses may park Mon-Fri 7am-5pm at the Bus Barn located off Garrod Drive and are not required to pay for parking at that location.  Please contact Unitrans at 530-752-4560 to make arrangements.  If buses require parking in the evening or on the weekend, please contact Transportation Services at (530) 752-7657 for information.

Q. What do I tell people who plan to arrive in a RV and want to know where they can park?

A. RVs are not allowed to park on campus overnight unless an exception has been granted for a campus special event such as the Native American Pow Wow.  During this event, a designated area will be reserved for RV parking in Lot 30. RV owners may purchase a permit for each space they utilize and park in Lot 30 during the day. For more information call Transportation Services at (530) 752-7657.

Parking Enforcement

Q. What are the hours of parking enforcement?

A. September 15 - June 15: Monday-Friday, 7:00 a.m.-10:00 p.m.
June 16 - September 14: Monday-Friday, 7:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.
Restricted spaces are enforced 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Q. What motorist assistance services are offered?

A. Transportation Services provides on-campus patrons battery jump, vehicle entry (to assist the registered owner in gaining access to a locked vehicle), tire inflation and gasoline retrieval services. The motorist assistance services are complimentary and are provided at no cost to campus patrons.

goClub/Commuter Services

Q: I am a student living in Davis and would like more information about getting a carpool parking permit.

A: Students must live outside the Davis area to be eligible for a carpool parking permit.

Q: Is there shuttle service to the Sacramento International Airport?

A: Yolobus provides service between UC Davis and the Sacramento International Airport on route 42A/42B. Route 42A is available for service to the airport from UC Davis and route 42B for your return trip. For more information please visit: http://www.yolobus.com/news/airportservice.php

Q: I would like to start taking transit to campus on a regular basis. How do I get a discounted pass?

A: First visit Transportation Services to return and cancel your existing parking permit (if applicable) then join the goClub online. As a goClub member you will qualify for a variety of discounts and services. To learn more about your commuting options you may call the goClub at (530) 752-6453 or email the goClub.

Q: I can't share the ride to campus because I transport children to and from school/daycare, do you have any solutions?

A: One approach is to look for a carpool partner from your child’s school or daycare. Please take a look at the online carpool matching service for UC Davis affiliates at Zimride. Furthermore, as a member of the goClub you may qualify for the Emergency Ride Home Program in which Transportation Services will provide you a ride home, or to your commute starting point, if an emergency situation should develop during the day.

Q: Are Employees who reside in Davis eligible to carpool? What incentives does campus provide to promote carpooling by Davis residents?

A: Employees living in Davis are eligible to participate in the carpool program. Registered carpool members are provided with a reduced rate, preferential parking, pretax payroll deduction, courtesy parking permits and access to the Emergency Ride Home Program.

Bicycle Program

Q. Where can I get a bike license?

A. Bring your bike to one of the following locations:

  • The Transportation Services office on located adjacent to the Pavilion Parking Structure, adjacent to the campus police department, off Hutchison and Dairy Road; Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 4 pm. Ph. (530) 752-BIKE.
  • B&L Bike Shop, 610 Third St., Davis. Open seven days/week. Ph. (530) 756-3540.
  • Ken's Bike-Ski-Board, 650 G St., Davis. Open seven days/week. Ph. (530) 758-3223.

Q. How much does a bike license cost?

A. A new license is $12, a renewal is $6, and both are valid through December 31 of the second year after the year in which you license the bike (e.g. a license issued in March, 2008 is valid through December 31, 2010).

Q. Is a bike license required by law?

A. All bikes operated on the UC Davis campus must have a current California bike license. The city of Davis has no mandatory bike license ordinance, but many cities and college campuses in California do. The license you purchase here is valid where licenses are required elsewhere in the state.

Q. Why should I license my bike?

A. Besides being required on campus, bike registration has proven very effective in recovering stolen and missing bikes in Davis. The University Police department has a much higher recovery rate of stolen bikes than probably any other law enforcement agency in the state. A primary reason for this is the high level of registration in Davis. A bike license can serve as a means of identifying bike accident victims, particularly in the case of children who carry no form of identification.

Q. How does bike licensing improve my chances of getting my stolen bike back?

A. By licensing your bike, it becomes entered into a state-wide system of identification, recovery and notification. Even if you lose your copy of the registration, Transportation Services will have the bike description, including license and serial numbers, available to provide to your local police so long as your registration is current. The police will then enter this information into a state-wide database of stolen bikes.

Q. When and where is the next bike auction?

A. Transportation Services hosts two bike auctions annually, one in the fall and one in the spring. Usually the spring auction is the first Saturday in May. The fall auction is usually the second Saturday in October. However, you should call 530/752-BIKE to confirm these dates. You may view the bikes and other items to be sold ONLY on the day of the auction from 8 - 9 a.m. You are strongly encouraged to arrive early for viewing, as the inspection area can get very crowded. After 9 a.m. you will only see each bike as it is brought out to be bid on. The bikes are numbered in the order they will come up for sale. Bring a paper and pencil to take notes on the bikes that interest you during the preview.

The auction takes place in the Pavilion Parking Structure at the intersection of Hutchison Drive and Dairy Road. If you are coming to the auction from Interstate 80, take the Hwy. 113 exit north, exit Hutchison Drive, University of California. Stay on Hutchison Drive and follow the special signs to convenient parking and directions to the auction site. Parking for the auction is free.

Q. What can I expect to find at the bike auction?

A. Transportation Services usually has over 300 bikes for sale, which come from a variety of sources. Most are bikes which have been impounded as abandoned. Some are bikes which were confiscated for parking violations and never claimed by their owners. A few are donated by individuals. All have been in University possession for at least 90 days, and if registered with a California Bicycle License, attempts to contact owners have been made. Most of the bikes are "fixer-uppers"; no attempt is made to fix, maintain, or refurbish any of the bikes, and all items are sold "as is".

Q. What are your payment terms?

A. We accept cash, checks with proper I.D. or Visa or Mastercard. All items are subject to sales tax, except for those buyers with valid resale licenses who are exempt from such tax.

Q. Where does the bike auction revenue go?

A. The auction proceeds go to support the UC Davis Bicycle Program whose mission is to maintain and encourage the popular and beneficial use of bicycles as an important mode of transportation to, from and on the UC Davis campus by providing the campus community with a safe, secure, and efficient cycling environment in response to customer needs and expectations.


Q. Where can I pay a citation fine?

  • Online: at the TAPS website
  • By mail:  Send a check or money order made payable to UC Regents, and mail to UC Davis TAPS, One Shields Avenue, Davis CA 95616.
  • In person (or use the after hours drop box) at the following locations: 
    • Transportation Services (Click here for a map and directions to Transportation Services)
    • Cashier's Office in Dutton Hall

Q. If I feel I have received a citation without cause, what can I do?

A. You may appeal a citation within 21 days of the issue date of the citation or 14 days from the date a delinquency notice is mailed.

Q. What are my options if I receive a parking citation?

A. Within 21 days of receiving a parking citation or 14 days from the date a delinquency notice is mailed, the recipient may:

  1. Pay the citation fine, using the options noted above
  2. Appeal the citation by completing a Request for Citation Review form available at Transportation Services, or Online

Q. What happens if I do not pay the fine or request a citation review within 21 days?

A. If the fine is not paid or the Request for Citation Review submitted within 7 days from the citation issuance date, a delinquency notice is sent to the registered owner of the vehicle. If the fine is not paid within 14 days of the delinquency notice, the parking fine will double and notice will be sent to the Department of Motor Vehicles to place a hold on the vehicle's registration.

Q. How do I contest the decision made by the appeals review committee?

A. A person may request an administrative hearing, either in person or by mail, when a citation appeal is denied. If one wishes to pursue an Administrative Hearing, the full amount of the citation fine must first be paid and a "Request for Administrative Hearing" form submitted to Transportation Services within 21 days of the date of the denial of the appeal. A blank copy of the "Request for Administrative Hearing" form is included with the citation appeal denial.

*Note* A request can be made for a waiver of payment of the parking citation fine for the Administrative Hearing due to financial hardship. Documented evidence of financial hardship must be provided to Transportation Services at least two business days before the fine is due. Each request will be considered on its own merits. Please contact TAPS at (530) 752-6843 or by email for assistance with this process.

Q. Is the Administrative Hearing conducted in person or by-mail?

A. A person may request either an in-person hearing or a by-mail hearing. If a hearing is scheduled and the appealing party is unable to attend the hearing, they must call Transportation Services to reschedule no later than 2 business days prior to the hearing.

Q. How is the Administrative Hearing conducted?

A. The Administrative Hearing is an opportunity for you to present your case to the Parking Citation Hearing Officer. The Hearing Officer will listen to why you believe the citation should be dismissed, receive any evidence you wish to present, and ask questions about what happened. Keep in mind that the parking citation is considered "prima facie" evidence that the violation occurred (sufficient evidence to uphold the citation unless disproved). In addition, the issuing officer shall not be required to be present at the hearing (see California Vehicle Code 40215[b][4]). After presenting your evidence, the Parking Citation Hearing Officer, based upon a preponderance of the evidence, will either uphold the citation or dismiss it. If the hearing is by mail, the decision will be mailed to the individual. If the hearing is in-person, the decision may either be given at the conclusion of the hearing, or it may be sent at a later date.

Q. How can I best prepare for the Administrative Hearing?

A. It is to your benefit to prepare for the hearing carefully. Provide all evidence that supports your case. This may include, but is not limited to, photographs, documents, your own testimony, or the testimony of witnesses. Please notify Transportation Services in advance if you wish to bring a witness. If you or your witness(es) present written testimony, the following statement should appear at the end of the testimony. "I, (name of person testifying), state that the testimony I have given is true under penalty of perjury." (signature of person testifying) Please keep in mind that the parking citation will not be dismissed, nor will a fine be reduced, simply because it has been appealed. If you wish to prove that your vehicle was not in the location indicated on the citation, please provide evidence to that fact. An unsupported statement is generally not persuasive. Also provide documentation to support any medical excuse or claim of mechanical issues.

Q. If my appeal is denied at the Administrative Hearing, can I appeal the citation further?

A. If the citation is upheld as a result of the Administrative hearing, the appealing party may ask for review of the decision by the Yolo County Superior Court within 30 days of the date of the Administrative Hearing decision. (If a waiver of the citation fee was granted earlier, the citation must be paid prior to the request, but no later than 14 days after the notification of the Administrative Hearing decision.) There is a $25 filing fee for review by the Court, however the filing fee and citation amount would be refunded by Transportation Services if the Court dismisses the citation. All materials presented or heard at the Administrative Hearing are forwarded to the Court if an appeal is submitted.

General Parking Questions

Q. Why do I have a double deduction for parking on my payroll check?

A. When you initially sign up for payroll deduction there are generally two deductions. Parking is paid a month in advance, so the current month plus the next month are charged.

Q. How do I cancel my parking permit and stop payroll deduction?

A. You should contact the TAPS office at least one month prior to the permit cancellation date for instructions on stopping your payroll deductions and returning your permit.  Since deductions for permits are taken a month in advance, this will help prevent unnecessary deductions.

Q. If I no longer need my permit, can I return it for a refund?

A. Yes, you can return your parking permit to Transportation Services to be reimbursed for the unused months, less an administrative fee for the processing of a refund. Please note that permits returned on or after the first of the month will be charged for the full calendar month.  Refunds will be processed according to original payment method (Check refunds will be sent by US Mail within 2-3 weeks).

Q. Do you enforce parking regulations during quarterly class breaks?

A. Yes. The only days in which parking is NOT enforced are University holidays and weekends (unless Special Events attendants are present). However, UCD Police enforce restricted spaces 7 days/week, 24 hrs/day.

Q. What are your office hours?

A. The Transportation Services main office is open 8:30am - 4:00pm, Monday-Friday.

Q. What do I need to do if my permit is lost or stolen?

A. You should visit the Transportation Services to report your permit as lost or stolen. After completing the necessary paperwork, you may purchase a replacement permit for the cost of $15.